Birkdale Primary School (1230)
Effective from (1 July, 2021)
The guidelines for development and operation of enrolment schemes are issued under section 11G (3) of the Education Act 1989 for the purpose of describing the basis on which the Secretary’s powers in relation to enrolment schemes will be exercised.
From the 1st July 2021 enrolment at BIrkdale Primary School is governed by a Ministry of Education approved enrolment scheme, which includes a zone that is set out below. A full copy of the enrolment scheme can be viewed below. The Education Act sets out the purposes of an enrolment scheme to ensure that the selection of applicants for enrolment at the school is fair and to ensure that the best use is made of existing networks of State schools. Students living within the Birkdale Primary School zone have automatic right of entry under the scheme. Students living outside of the Birkdale Primary School zone will have another school that is reasonably convenient to their place of residence that they will be entitled to attend. You can find information about the location of other schools and their enrolment zones at http://nzschools.tki.org.nz/.
All students who live within the home zone described below and/or shown on the attached map shall be entitled to enrol at the school.
Starting at the intersection of Birkdale Road, Verran Road, and Rangatira Road, travel north along Birkdale Road (even addresses 2-200 only included and odd addresses 19-163 only included; Gatman Street, Seon Place, Stott Avenue, Saffron Street, Lanigan Street, Mackwood Place included; Tiri Tiri Road – even addresses 52 and below only included and odd addresses 59 and below only included) to the roundabout of Eskdale Road and Birkdale Road.
Travel east along Eskdale Road (even addresses 54 and below only included and odd addresses 55 and below only included; Fuchsia Place included) to the roundabout of Eskdale Road, Lauderdale Road (excluded) and Salisbury Road.
Travel southwest along Salisbury Road (both sides included; Bishopgate Street, Canongate Street, Abbeygate Street, Erewhon Place included) to Birkdale Road and then travel south along Birkdale Road back to the starting point.
All residential addresses on included sides of boundary roads and all no exit roads off included sides of boundary roads are included in the zone unless otherwise stated.
This priority category is awaiting approval by the Secretary.
In-Zone Enrolment procedure:
You will need to:
- Check that you live within the list of in-zone addresses below
- Fill in an enrolment application form available from the school office or electronically by clicking the link below.
- Provide proof of address (e.g. provide a utility bill in the parent’s name, an appropriate tenancy agreement, or a sale and purchase agreement).
- Provide a copy of the student’s birth certificate or passport.
- Complete a Vision and Hearing Testing screening approval form and a School Dental Service enrolment form.
- Provide immunisation details.
- Once all information has been supplied, enrolment will be confirmed by letter. If you move prior to your child starting you must notify the school and confirm your new address is within the school zone.
- It is important to note that an application for enrolment may be declined or an enrolment annulled if the Board believes on reasonable grounds that:
- false information has been given as to the student’s usual place of residence;
- or a temporary address for the student has been given for the purpose of gaining enrolment at the school. (section 11OA Education Act 1989)
In-Zone Enrolment Form
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year the board will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
The school runs a Māori immersion programme (Effective 26 July 2021). The criteria for enrolment in the programme are:
- Students who are fluent speakers of Māori
- Students who have attended a Māori bilingual or immersion primary school
- Students who want to be in a Māori medium classroom AND have parental support to learn te reo.
- Child who have attend Kōhanga Reo.
- Siblings of former students in the special programme.
- All other applicants including those without te reo, up to and including Year 3 and whose whānau have a commitment to developing the language.
NB: Students are not required to meet all the criteria but these will be used to decide the priority for places on the programme.
Second Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
Third Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
Fourth Priority will be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
Fifth Priority will be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
Sixth Priority will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group must be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Ballot for Enrolment of Out of Zone Students
Enrolment at Birkdale Primary School is governed by an enrolment scheme. From time to time, the Board may determine that there are a limited number of spaces available for out of zone students. This ballot would include out of zone siblings who must be balloted for entry.
- Ballot forms are available from the school office.
- Please contact Birkdale Primary School on 094837767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries.
Enrolment procedure for Out of Zone Students
- Parents complete a ballot form (available from the office) and hand it in at the school office by the application closing date.
- On the ballot date, the ballot is drawn under the supervision of a Justice of the Peace, a practising lawyer, a sworn member of the Police or a local Government returning officer.
- The names are pulled out of the ballot and a waiting list is created if there are more names in the ballot than spaces available.
- Successful families are advised by letter and asked to confirm acceptance in writing of the place offered.
- Unsuccessful families are advised by letter and placed on a waiting list in the number they are drawn from the ballot.
- If successful families decline the space, the place is offered to the first/next family on the waiting list.
Enrolment Scheme Map